Sunday, December 10, 2006

Translation and Misc. Stuff

Actually, Bridget, the last post was all good stuff. My Swedish mum, Kerstin, called me last night because she had already received my Christmas card. She is, always has been, and no doubt, ever will be, terrible at snail mail. So, when she hears from me, she inevitably calls to say hello. I can't complain-it's great to hear her voice. Although, she asked if I wanted anything, and I said a letter would be great. I could even pass on the Marabou, as I am hoping to kick the sugar addiction over break. We had a lovely talk and I found out that Jonas and Bettan will have another bay, due in March.

As to other stuff: Yes, Bridge, I guess mom mailed some stuff. She said she tried to remember every thing but was unsure if she did. I hope she remembered the essentials, like the herbal remedy that helps me kick sugar, deodorant, and some of the warm clothes that I asked for, among a few other things. Teri sent me enough cold medicine in her last package for at least two colds. So, other than that, it is indeed a waiting game. I will let you know what she missed.

This afternoon I went to my regular Saturday hangout (Maidu, to do progress reports) and called Rhonda, a new friend who is from Texas. She is a hoot and this is her second go round. After graduating from college (after having and raising a son a bit younger than me, and that's all I'm saying) she decided that she wanted to come to Korea before jumping into the 9-5 grind that would be part and parcel of her new degree. She too is an artist and we have a lot in common and I have enjoyed her company in the couple of times we have hung out. We tried soju (first time for both of us) and I have to say, it basically tastes like very weak vodka. I prefer vodka. Soju has nothing going for it on its own, I have to say. You'd have to mix it to make it worth it. I have tried that too, whilst out with Kristy and Andrew and it was crap. I don't know what kind of brew it was supposed to be, but if you add soju to OJ like any sensible vodka appreciating person might do, you might have an decent drink. The swill we had while the three of us were out, well, let's just say that I switched to a beer-korean beer, at that. Ugh.

Anyway, I was lazy today and got a late start, a late finish, and it is time to call it quits. Besides, my Skully has not made any progress (if this were a spanish sentence, the mere structure of the sentence would blame it on the sweater rather than the knitter, an idea I quite like, so therefore I blame it on the sweater. What do you expect? I always screw up when I have to pick up stiches to knit!). The uruaguayan yarn is still airing out in order to loose the inherent odor that treated wool can often have. So, no knitly news. Will have to make more progress on those 2nd grade progress reports tomorrow. Doing progress reports always reminds me of my 4th grade teacher, who, at the end of the year wrote some nice things, rounded off with, "and come back next year without that Southern accent!" As if it were my fault she couldn't understand me! Imagine if I wrote that the kids should come back next term, "without that Korean accent!" Really, now! ;)

1 comment:

spinndiva said...

oooh a different Bridgett... I was wondering when I said what , to make you write this ;)
glad you heard from your loved ones!
sending hugs (and a detailed email later)