Sunday, December 24, 2006

Recommendation

Thanks, T, for the Jamie Cullum CD. If y'all like like a kind of updated jazzy sound, I recommend his stuff. My favorite song so far on Twenty-something is probably the same as T's: All at Sea. I'm probably going to listen to it until I kill it. :) Fits my mood right now. Wish I was out on the water right now, wish I could leave the obligations and connections behind right now.

I also recommend Jinusean's Telephone number, if you're in the mood to check out some korean rap with English thrown in. No, I don't understand the korean, but it has a good beat. You can check it out on Youtube, but you have to bear with the stupid video that goes with it if you listen there. Basically, take the idea of rap that coems out of the US, especially the materialistic part of it, idealize it, wrap it up out of context and absorb it into another culture. America too has done this, I know. It's just interesting to see it from the other perspective. Maybe because Sweden is western, I did not see it nearly as much or as blatantly as I do here. Anyway, that's the video. Girls in sexy clothes in front of big cars and guys in weird clothes that just look like rap costumes. When against a white background, given no context, it just makes it so obvious. good beat, tho......;)

After much thought and talking to others, I have come to what I can only call my own personal conclusion that Korea is a more materialistic culture than America, and for those of you that know me well, that is saying a lot. It is in a different way, though, too.
- - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - -
I got really off track with the rest of this post and edited it. I'll have to put my thoughts together in a more structured way to explain what I mean.

No comments: