Sunday, April 08, 2007

"These are the times that try mens' souls. In the course of our nation's history, the people of Boston have rallied bravely whenever the rights of man have been threatened. Today, a new crisis has arisen. The Metropolitan Transit Authority, better known as the MTA, has attempted to levy a burdensome tax on the population, in the form of fare increase. Citizens hear me out-THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU!"

Cue the music.

" Well let me tell of the story of a man named Charlie on a tragic and fateful day. He put ten cents in his pocket, kissed his wife and family, and went to ride on the MTA.

But did he ever return? No, he never returned, and his fate is still unlearned. (What a pity) He may ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston...he's the man who never returned." (Kingston Trio, Charlie and the MTA)

See, poor ol' Charlie, he gave up his dime at Kendall Square station, then he changed for Jamaica PLain (better known nowadays, as JP), but, you see, when he got there the conductor told him, "One more nickel." Think he had it? No! Charlie couldn't get off of that train. Charlie rides all night long, lamenting that he can no longer afford to see his sister in Chelsea, or his cousin in Roxbury.

I'm paraphrasing, of course. Needless to say, I'm waxing a bit nostalgic for the good ol' days when I was a kid, and this was some of the music we listened to, and we all can sing together in unison now. I gotta say, I miss my family south o' Boston and on the West coast. Love you guys. Wish my Ma, like Charlie's wife, could go down to the Scully Square Station with a sandwich at quarter past two. If we vote for a guy named George O'Brian, do you think we can get fares back to a dime on the T (as it is now called)? I think not. But I bet there are no shortages of G. O'Brians in Southie.

Pardon me, I'm off to the Tijuana jail. Got no one to go my bail. Just $500..........guess I'll have plenty of time in the slammer to do lesson plans! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol, needed that after the crap day i just had. I went to a red sox game with scott and a guy from his work and they played that there. made me think of our childhood...
love you.