Friday, July 27, 2007

Concert

I was at a great concert last night. The main performance was a Korean band called Boom Boom. Drums. Lots of drums. If you know me, you know I am a sucker for drums. It was a blast. Small performance space, big drums-especially the traditional Korean style one. It was great. Because of the nature of the space, I could feel the drums resonating through me. Loved that.

A TV station was filming, and as the only non-asian person there (there was one other foreigner-a Vietnamese fellow who was great sport when they put him on the spot) I stood out. So, the camera man interviewed me and the man I was with translated for both of us. He also translated the jokes that were sung in the at the end in traditional korean style. Boom Boom is 6 performers, including a dancer, and man on a traditional horn and the drummers.

Normally, there are no performances at this time-it's normal vacation period, but I think they made an exception for the TV station and others. My companion at the show, Michael, told me that it was a shorter than usual performance. There was dinner and tea first. I don't usually care for Korean green tea, but this was mild and pleasant. Maybe because I don't usually like most teas here, I was not too surprised to find out it was from a $100 bottle of tea. Dinner beforehand was apparently something new-a spicy chicken stew, with rice and veggies-which are the norm.

Because I had to catch my bus back, I missed the after performance party, unfortunately. I would have loved to find out more about where and when this band plays. Plus, if the tea was $100 a bottle (think the equivalent of paying $4-5 US for coffee, but in a setting that is much more special than Starbucks), then I imagine the Makoli (which I do like) was probably significantly better than the $3 kettles I've had with friends!


Unfortunately, I did not film it with my camera, which would have been a great addition for my class coming up in camp. I will ask Eun Jeong to look at the brochure I brought home to find out if I can get CDs of videos to show my kids. I'm still hunting for good supplemental materials for that.

OK, please don't mind me if I don't check this over before posting. I recently got a pretty good idea of my "usual" readership, and I don't think either of you will mind! (PS, Lurking family members are REQUIRED to comment and leave their name in! I know where you live!)

4 comments:

spinndiva said...

sounds like you had fun!!! A sucker for drums or for drum-mers? ;)

Anonymous said...

so here I am checking you out. Drumssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss You know some one else that is a sucker for drums and every time they walk by one they always want to try and play them? Don't think you would have to think to hard..doom doom tek a tek doom tek a tek tek a... sounds better on a drum(lol)

Anonymous said...

Yo, sis...you did a good job of summarizing your blog when we talked last night. Any you better not be crying still! I was up all night sending you happy thoughts. You better pick them up!!! :)

Well, gotta continue with my mandatory reading. later...
Love,T. (big sis)

Anonymous said...

Guess I am the last to post...because I am only on the computer on weekdays. Sounds like a good time, would have loved to hear the drums. I think the only think I could like-in (is that a word) it to, would be the performance put on at Epco center that we saw on vacation. I am sure that is a very bad comparison, but I thought it was cool, so this must have been cooler.

Pretty sad coming from a 38 year old. I am sorry I haven't visited lately. I do love you!! Let's talk soon.