Thursday, August 09, 2007

More Random Thoughts

Yes, I have a lot of those. Entirely too many, in fact. I have been pondering the vagaries of friendship. Perhaps it is so-called frinedship? I don't know. But something I haven't quite been able to put my finger on has been bothering me. Well, many things. One of them is the nature of friendships. I have, in a way, been morning the loss of some friendships lately. I don't do that very well. It was a long long time growing up before I realized how transitory frinedships really were.

It seems to me that a lot of people keep their friendships fairly superficial, and seem to do so quite deliberately. I prefer to let a relationship develop as fully as it naturally would on its own. A friend of mine keeps commenting on how "deep" I am. "You seem like you would listen to deep music," or just,"you seem pretty deep." It makes me wonder, do most people just live most of their lives on a superficial level? Am I really that different? Are people that aren't "deep" happier?

Maybe I should try to just stop thinking so much. Yeah, fat chance of that, right? Nevertheless, there are some friends, new and old, that I miss sometimes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, friendships, they are interesting aren't they. I have had some "deep" friendships along the way that turned out to be deep on one side only. Maybe it is a Stiley/O'Neill thing???? And happiness, that I think is individual to each person, kind of like beauty, it is in the eye of the beholder. Does that make sense?? With me one never knows! I think true friendship is the kind where you can go days, weeks even months without speaking or seeing each other and then when you do, it is like no time has passed and nothing has changed. (Like my friendship with Cindy in DE). So, there it is, my thought for the day. Love you!!! Miss You!!! Your friend & big sis, B

spinndiva said...

I have a friend back home in Germany... often we don't talk for months, since we both are busy and the time is so different and then there is the cost of talking on the phone (she does not have a computer and skype) but when we do get a hold of each other it is like it always was.. we talk forever... run up a gigantic phone bill... and are happy we know each other. I don't have many friends.. as a matter of fact I can count my friends probably on one hand, the rest are acquaintances...I am picky, who I call a friend.
on the superficiality.. I think superficial people are superficially happy...
but I could be wrong... and the sky could be green...

Anonymous said...

Deep and far reaching friendships that last a lifetime can usually be counted on one hand. Those of us with friends we've known and stayed in touch with (regardless of frequency) for a dozen years or more are lucky indeed. Just had my bestfriend from high school come with her family last night. What a lucky friend I am and have! And remember, you should probably be glad most aquaintances don't go too deep...you'd be knee high in doo-doo you never dreamed existed!
Meanwhile, I remain one of your most fervent, if inconsistent, friends and family...love you, kiddo! ~ T